Uninsured Motorist Coverage: California

Wanting to know if California uninsured motorist coverage is necessary? Even though uninsured motorist coverage is not the law in the state of California, you should get it, since recent reports performed by the Insurance Research Council reveal that as much as 25% of California residents are driving uninsured. What is uninsured motorist coverage? Generally, uninsured motorist insurance coverage covers an insured crash with a driver who doesn’t possess liability coverage. UM/UIM protection is oftentimes known as California hit-and-run insurance.

If you don’t have uninsured motorist coverage, you may be forced to pay for hospital bills related to a vehicle accident for which you are not responsible. Whether you would like to add an uninsured motorist rider to your old insurance policy or obtain a new insurance plan entirely, we can save you a little money while being insured from the 9,313,489 motorists in California that don’t have automobile insurance. Fortunately, we have partnered with an extensive array of California car insurance providers who can offer you uninsured motorist coverage. Enter you zip code to compare rates!

California Uninsured Motorist Law

In California, uninsured motorist protection is not required. In order to be fully insured in California, an individual will need to have these coverage amounts, at least:

  • $15,000 for injuries suffered by one person in an accident.
  • $30,000 for injuries sustained by all of the persons in an accident.
  • $5,000 for damage to property caused by an accident.

Without this amount of coverage, a driver will be underinsured. In cases like this, uninsured motorist coverage ought to pay the difference between the amount the driver at fault is able to pay, and how much should be paid.

Accident With an Uninsured Driver in California?

People who have been hit by an uninsured motorist could have the right to reparation for losses. In 48 states, it is illegal for a road user to drive without being insured, and may be considered a criminal offense. If you want to file an uninsured motorist or hit and run legal claim in California, you need a lawyer.