Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Alabama

Should you get uninsured motorist coverage in Alabama? Most definitely! Uninsured motorist coverage is not mandatory in Alabama, but 25% of Alabama road users are not insured. So how does uninsured motorist protection work? Generally, uninsured motorist insurance coverage provides coverage in the event you’re in a crash in which the other motorist is at fault, but uninsured. Uninsured motorist protection is oftentimes called Alabama hit and run insurance coverage. Although you were not to blame, you could be stuck with damages arising from a collision with an uninsured driver – if you don’t add uninsured motorist insurance to your insurance policy, that is! If you want to add uninsured motorist coverage to your old insurance policy or secure a new insurance policy altogether, we will help you cut costs while being protected from the 1,194,934 drivers in Alabama that are not insured.

Fortunately, we have partnered with an extensive array of Alabama car insurance companies who can offer you uninsured motorist insurance. Enter you zip code to compare rates!

Alabama Uninsured Motorist Law

As stated above, UM/UIM coverage is not mandatory in the state of Alabama. To be fully insured in Alabama, an individual must have a certain level of insurance. The following are the coverage amounts they must have:

  • $25,000 for injuries suffered by an individual in an accident.
  • $50,000 for injuries sustained by all of the men and women in an accident.
  • $25,000 for damage to property resulting from an accident.

Without this much coverage, at least, a motorist will be deemed underinsured. In such a case, uninsured motorist coverage ought to pay the difference between what the motorist to blame is able to pay, and the amount that is due.

Injured By Uninsured Driver in Alabama?

If you have been in an accident with an uninsured motorist in Alabama, you may have the right to legal recourse. In forty-eight states, it is illegal for a motorist to drive without insurance, and might even be regarded as criminal. If you need to file an uninsured motorist or hit and run claim in Alabama, you’ll need an attorney.