Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM/UIM)

Should you have uninsured motorist coverage? The answer is an indisputable YES. Uninsured motorist coverage may only be required by law in 20 states, but it’s a good idea no matter where you live. That’s because nearly 15% of motorists nationwide are uninsured, and indicators show that this number is rising.

Generally, uninsured motorist protection will pay bodily injury damages resulting from an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run motorist. For this reason, you might hear UM/UIM protection referred to as hit and run insurance coverage. If you do not have an uninsured motorist clause on your policy, you may be forced to pay medical expenses associated with an accident for which you were not to blame.

Whether or not you want to add uninsured motorist coverage to your existing insurance policy or get a new insurance plan entirely, we’ll help you save money while safeguarding you and your family from uninsured, underinsured, and hit-and-run motorists. We can’t stress this enough: it is crucial to compare rates on uninsured motorist insurance between insurers. For that reason we allow you to compare rates from the leading providers UM/UIM coverage – online!

Uninsured Motorist Law

Uninsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage is compulsory in the following 20 states: CT, IL, KS, ME, MD, MA, MN, MO, NH, NJ, NY, NC, ND, OR, RI, SC, SD, VA, WV, and WI. If you do not live in one of these states, we encourage you to find out how much it would cost to get a policy that includes uninsured motorist insurance. If you do live in one of these states, double-check with your insurer that you are sufficiently insured against uninsured, underinsured, and hit-and-run drivers.